Friday, August 20, 2010

The End.


I hate endings! I hate goodbyes! I'd like to live "in the middle of" forever! I'm not a person for change, although I knew this was an experience that would come to an end at some point. By nature, I am a person of routine so I do look forward to getting back into a regular schedule. This was one of the best summers ever and I am so thankful that our family got to experience life here. I know newly-minted 4-year-old Ava will remember just tid bits and 6-year-old Braden will remember a bit more, with 9-year-old Skylar remembering the most. I'm so thankful that they got to experience this and learn so much, not only from the historical things we saw and did but the little things like using British Pounds to pay--I did have the kids actually pay for a few things, hidden life experience right there! It truly was a never-ending learning experience, whether they realized it or not. Today (Friday) we said our goodbyes to Windsor. Went to Waitrose for the last time...steering a stroller while carrying an overloaded basket of goods is always a good time. I finally learnt ;-) where all "my things" were in that store. We said our farewells to the lady at Waitrose that always asked where we were from (like *every* time). We smiled at the staff at the children's clothing store who said they "couldn't get enough of the kids' accents"...they had wanted to keep them there all day just to listen to them talk! We had coffee at "our" favorite little cafe right across from the castle one last time...we walked around the rest of the town, on the bridge to Eton, waved goodbye to the swans, and played at "our" park one last time. I felt sad to give them one last push on the strange, yet fun web-like swing and close that heavy red gate for the last time. I loved the people--super outgoing, friendly, and interested. I got over the slight embarassment I felt every time the kids or I spoke and people turned around to look at us. I found it surprising when people commented on the kids accents--because again they are the ones with the accents, right?! ;-) I stood back and tried to hear what they were hearing, to no avail...but right back at them cuz when the little kids talked in their proper-sounding accent I always smiled. It will feel strange being one of the masses again! I loved the cobblestone streets, even if it did make for a bumpy ride in the stroller for my passenger. I loved the outdoor cafes, smoke and all. I think I must have second-hand smoked at least a pack of cigarettes by now, but I'm still standing! I enjoyed the weather, a welcome break from the heat and humidity that a Chi-town summer has to offer--it's slowly starting to dip even further here, hovering in the mid-60s with that ever-present gray cloud in the sky. However I *do* look forward to not automatically multiplying whatever I purchase by an approximate 1.5 due to the exchange rate...I look forward to the kids playing with friends, not just strangers they dubbed friends while meeting them out and about. I look forward to some American food, although after day 2 I'm sure I'll be longing for the food I've gotten used to here...I just need one decent hamburger, one I tell you! Then I'll be good to go. But most of all, as this was a huge work project for Mike, I look forward to more reasonable hours and actual weekends. It's been exhausting in that aspect exploring this great city mostly alone, with Mike coming home late, working while at home, and working 38 of the 42 days we were here.


So today was Mike's official "last day" here for this six-week stint, although he's already slotted to come back next month for a week's time. That means tomorrow is our last official day and what better way to spend it than in London as a family.


So tonight I bid Windsor farewell, as our exploring and enjoying of this great city is done.

No comments: